Can a mother unilaterally change her daughter's name without the consent of the father?

Saskatchewan, Canada

The following excerpt is from Vanderlinde v. Bohn, 2003 SKQB 503 (CanLII):

In Zho v. Chen, supra, the parents had entered into an agreement for shared custody which stipulated neither of them may change their daughter’s name without consent of the other. The mother remarried and six years later unilaterally sought to change the child’s surname to her new husband’s surname in order that such child would have the same name as the child born of her second marriage. In response thereto the child’s father applied for an order restraining the mother from changing his daughter’s surname. The chamber judge applied the best interest of the child test, placed the burden of establishing such benefit on the applicant, and held that the applicant failed to discharge such burden of proof. The judge appears to have given considerable weight to the close relationship between the father and the daughter when granting a prohibition order.

Other Questions

What is the test for obtaining consent to change a child's name? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What is the effect of a learned judge's judgment in dispensing with the consent of the natural father? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Can a father who terminated his wife's spousal support as of February 1, 2001, now argue it should have been terminated when the mother remarried? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
In what circumstances will a testatrix be able to give over the income of her adopted daughter's husband's income if the husband of the Testatrix's adopted daughter dies? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Does a change in circumstances constitute a material change in the child’s circumstances to warrant removal from the only home he had ever known? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What is the testatrix’s obligation to give a spouse's income income to their adopted daughter if they marry again? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Does the trial judge’s spousal support decision not to change the order, even if the husband's income falls if he decides to retire or work less? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What is the difference between an actual and continued change of possession of a farm and a vendor's ownership of the farm? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What are the implications of the Supreme Court of Canada's recent decisions on whether an action commenced without leave is a nullity? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Can a husband who locks his wife out of his home for refusing to allow her to return home from a visit without his consent receive alimony? (Saskatchewan, Canada)

There are no other similar questions at this time.