Can a party in his own name adopt a property in the name of the owner without the consent or sanction of the other party?

Saskatchewan, Canada

The following excerpt is from Goulding v. Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society, 1947 CanLII 193 (SK CA):

Ritchie, C.J., delivering the judgment of the court, says as follows, at p. 441: “Routh v. Thompson (1811) 13 East 274, 284, 104 ER 375, and Hagedorn v. Oliverson (1814) 2 M and S 485, 105 ER 461, seem clearly to establish that a party may insure in his own name the property of another for the benefit of the owner, without the previous authority or sanction of the latter, and that it will inure to the interest of the party intended to be protected upon his subsequent adoption of it, even after a loss has occurred: a fortiori, if he insures in the owner’s own name.”

Other Questions

Is there any relationship between a co-owner of a property and the owner of the property? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Is an owner of a property entitled to make a sale of the property himself notwithstanding that he has listed the property with an agent? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What is the test for making a decree of absolute adoption without the consent of a parent who is not a party to the application? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What is the test of the principle of consent between the consent of the parties? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
In what circumstances will a lien holder of a property be considered a "contractor" of the same class as the owner of the property? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Is a party who has been granted exclusive possession of a property a tenant of the property? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Can a party to a consent judgment be made against a property that was to stand as security for the equalization payment? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
In what circumstances have the courts found that a joint owner of a homestead can transfer interest in the homestead without the consent of the wife? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
Can a property owner be held liable for failing to disclose to the purchaser that he had a water issue with his property? (Saskatchewan, Canada)
What are the legal consequences if a party agrees to surrender a lease with another party? (Saskatchewan, Canada)

Whitelogo nobg 300dpi sm

"The most advanced legal research software ever built."

Trusted by top litigators from across North America.