Is a "Bed and Breakfast" permitted to be operated by members of their own family living in the home?

British Columbia, Canada

The following excerpt is from Kimberley (City) v. Schwigon, 2000 BCSC 328 (CanLII):

The respondents submit that this definition is broad enough to include the operation of a "Bed and Breakfast" by members of their own family living in the home. They submit that any by-law restricting the use of land must be strictly construed and that any doubt ought to be resolved in their favour, on the authority of Wilson v. DeLancey, 1968 CanLII 14 (SCC), [1968] S.C.R. 554 at p. 559, per Spence J.

Other Questions

Does an adult child who moves into the home of his parent's family unit need to pay board or be considered a member of the family unit? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the economic value of cleaning and other services provided by family members to a family business? (British Columbia, Canada)
In a family law matter, can a corporation be prejudiced by analysing their rights through the lens of the family law dispute? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the significance of the relative standard of living of the parties post post post-war compared to the standard living standard in their respective countries? (British Columbia, Canada)
If an adult child is still living at home, but is not ill and disabled, is that adult child entitled to support? (British Columbia, Canada)
In what circumstances will a court order a 70/30 split of the family home? (British Columbia, Canada)
Does the fact that there is a provision allowing the wife and children to occupy the family home constitute a reapportionment? (British Columbia, Canada)
What are the factors applicable to a student who is over the age of majority, in a course of studies and living at home? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the effect of a husband’s exclusive use and enjoyment of the former family home after the parties separated? (British Columbia, Canada)
What is the current family property value of a home that was valued at the date of separation? (British Columbia, Canada)

There are no other similar questions at this time.