If a deceased parent's neglect or mistreatment of a disinherited child is found to be to blame for the child's lack of progress in life and their diminished financial circumstances, what is the state of the law?

British Columbia, Canada

The following excerpt is from Persall v. Stromberg, 2015 BCSC 1826 (CanLII):

Further, even if proven, the law would not support an award to the plaintiffs in their circumstances. If a judge does find a link between a deceased parent’s neglect or mistreatment of a disinherited child and the child’s lack of progress in life and their current diminished financial circumstances, it may make an award if a judicious parent, after objective reflection, would recognize a moral obligation to make amends for neglect or mistreatment through the provisions of their will: Doucette v. McInnes, 2009 BCCA 393 [Doucette].

Generally, where an adult child complains of an unhappy relationship with or neglect of the parent, the summary of the cases between p. 19-50 and 19-51 of the Practice Manual, indicate a range of responses determined by the circumstances in the case. In Gray v. Nantel, 2002 BCCA 94 [Gray], the court found that the will-maker’s neglect of a child may be relevant in determining whether a moral duty is owed to the child.

Other Questions

What is the impact of requiring a parent to remain isolated from their child's support and in difficult financial circumstances? (Ontario, Canada)
What is the impact of a parent’s financial circumstances on the child of a separated parent's ability to move to a different community? (Ontario, Canada)
What is the impact of the state's interference in the relationship between a parent and their child? (Ontario, Canada)
Does a change in circumstances under s. 9 of the Federal Child Support Guidelines require the applicant to prove that their financial situation has improved since the date of a previous order? (British Columbia, Canada)
How has the court found that a parent's reasons for disinheriting their child were valid and rational? (British Columbia, Canada)
Is a parent's obligation to support their child by paying for their child's summer work? (Ontario, Canada)
Does a child's expressed wish to move from the custodial parent's home to the other parent’s home constitute a material change in circumstances? (Ontario, Canada)
Can a parent who makes a significant improvement in their economic circumstances prevent the other parent from having maximum contact with their child? (Ontario, Canada)
What is the test for setting aside a parent's custodial claim against a parent who cannot raise their child? (British Columbia, Canada)
Does a state action which interferes with the parent-child relationship restrict a parent's right to security of the person? (Alberta, Canada)